What could be more important than your vision?
The NBAO is the professional association that represents Doctors of Optometry
in New Brunswick. This website offers eyecare & eyewear information for patients, as well as providing an online resource
for Doctors of Optometry and other health care providers.
The Canadian Association of Optometrists (CAO) defines an optometrist as
"an independent primary health care provider who specializes in the examination, diagnosis, treatment, management and prevention
of disease and disorders of the visual system, the eye and associated structures as well as the diagnosis of ocular manifestations
of systemic conditions"
As primary eye care providers, an optometrist's main responsibilities are:
- The examination of the human eye by any method (other than surgery), to
diagnose, treat, and/or refer for treatment any abnormal condition of the eye, in cooperation with physicians and other health
- The employment of instruments, procedures or agents to measure, examine
or diagnose visual defects or abnormal conditions of the eye.
- The prescribing, fitting and application of glasses, contact lenses or other
devices to correct, relieve or treat the eye.
- The prescription, supervision and management of therapy for the improvement/monitoring
of visual health.
- The referral of patients to other health practitioners as required.